Well its now 2006 and it’s hard to believe I’ve been living in Japan for nearly nine months! I’m feeling refreshed after having several days off for the New Year Holiday and I’d like to share with you some of the customs associated with the New Year here in Japan.
In Japan the New Year, known as ‘Sho Gatsu’ is a family time which seems to have several similarities to our Christmas. Throughout the country people travel countless kilometres often jamming up the transport systems, in order to spend some time in their hometown with their greater families. In the lead up to the big day people send New Year Postcards (not Christmas cards) wishing their friends or family Season’s Greetings. I’ve been told by many people that it’s not uncommon to send in excess of one hundred of these and one lady I talked to was quite embarrassed she’d only sent fifty this year! Being a time for the family New Years Eve is quite different from back home. Instead of enjoying the biggest party night of the year with your friends, in Japan it is customary to go to a Shrine with the family to wait for the priest to toll in the New Year on a large ceremonial bell.
Although there are no presents exchanged on New Years Day the children in the family receive a sum of money called “Otoshi Dama” from each of their adult relatives. The money increases with age and older teens can expect to receive up to 10,000 Yen (NZ $125 approx.) from each relation! I’m told this money is often put into a savings account by the child’s parents to go towards future University fees, but several teens I talked to said they were looking forward to going clothes shopping in the New Year with their cash. Apparently “Otoshi Dama” is paid until the child graduates from University so it can be quite a costly custom for those in large families I’m sure.
A Traditional New Years Day involves visits to Three Different Shrines and the consumption of “Osechi Dori” (New Year Food). The family visits each shrine and prays for protection and prosperity in the following year. They may purchase ‘Omamori’ (Good Luck Charms) which it’s hoped will bring good fortune. One of the most popular examples that I saw was the ‘Hamaya’; a ceremonial arrow that is hung up in the house to defend against misfortune.
Many Japanese cringe when describing the traditional food that is eaten over this time as I’m told some of the dishes can be a little bland for modern day appetites. Many types of ‘Osechi’ are served, and they can generally be prepared in large quantities in order to feed the family over several days. Some of the foods dished up during the holiday include Shrimp, Sweet Black Beans, Rice-cakes, Seaweed and Fish eggs. The interesting thing about these ‘Osechi’ is that each of the foods is symbolic and believed to bring luck. For example ‘Kazunoko’ (Herring Eggs) are believed to encourage fertility, and the curved shape of ‘Ebi’ (Shrimp) is traditionally believed to ensure a long life because it resembles an old person’s back. Black Beans are also a favourite. They are known as ‘Mame’ which in Japanese also means hardworking, so eating these promotes diligence.
It’s been really interesting observing another culture’s traditions but I must confess on New Year’s Eve I wasn’t visiting the local Shrine. Instead I was enjoying a more familiar type of New Year Celebration with about five hundred other partygoers at a nightclub in Fukuoka. My friends and I had a really good time and welcomed in the 1st of January in fine style. At about 7am while returning home on a nearly empty train I watched the sun rise over the mountains for the first time in 2006 on a glorious Japanese morning. What a way to start the year.
In Japan the New Year, known as ‘Sho Gatsu’ is a family time which seems to have several similarities to our Christmas. Throughout the country people travel countless kilometres often jamming up the transport systems, in order to spend some time in their hometown with their greater families. In the lead up to the big day people send New Year Postcards (not Christmas cards) wishing their friends or family Season’s Greetings. I’ve been told by many people that it’s not uncommon to send in excess of one hundred of these and one lady I talked to was quite embarrassed she’d only sent fifty this year! Being a time for the family New Years Eve is quite different from back home. Instead of enjoying the biggest party night of the year with your friends, in Japan it is customary to go to a Shrine with the family to wait for the priest to toll in the New Year on a large ceremonial bell.
Although there are no presents exchanged on New Years Day the children in the family receive a sum of money called “Otoshi Dama” from each of their adult relatives. The money increases with age and older teens can expect to receive up to 10,000 Yen (NZ $125 approx.) from each relation! I’m told this money is often put into a savings account by the child’s parents to go towards future University fees, but several teens I talked to said they were looking forward to going clothes shopping in the New Year with their cash. Apparently “Otoshi Dama” is paid until the child graduates from University so it can be quite a costly custom for those in large families I’m sure.
A Traditional New Years Day involves visits to Three Different Shrines and the consumption of “Osechi Dori” (New Year Food). The family visits each shrine and prays for protection and prosperity in the following year. They may purchase ‘Omamori’ (Good Luck Charms) which it’s hoped will bring good fortune. One of the most popular examples that I saw was the ‘Hamaya’; a ceremonial arrow that is hung up in the house to defend against misfortune.
Many Japanese cringe when describing the traditional food that is eaten over this time as I’m told some of the dishes can be a little bland for modern day appetites. Many types of ‘Osechi’ are served, and they can generally be prepared in large quantities in order to feed the family over several days. Some of the foods dished up during the holiday include Shrimp, Sweet Black Beans, Rice-cakes, Seaweed and Fish eggs. The interesting thing about these ‘Osechi’ is that each of the foods is symbolic and believed to bring luck. For example ‘Kazunoko’ (Herring Eggs) are believed to encourage fertility, and the curved shape of ‘Ebi’ (Shrimp) is traditionally believed to ensure a long life because it resembles an old person’s back. Black Beans are also a favourite. They are known as ‘Mame’ which in Japanese also means hardworking, so eating these promotes diligence.
It’s been really interesting observing another culture’s traditions but I must confess on New Year’s Eve I wasn’t visiting the local Shrine. Instead I was enjoying a more familiar type of New Year Celebration with about five hundred other partygoers at a nightclub in Fukuoka. My friends and I had a really good time and welcomed in the 1st of January in fine style. At about 7am while returning home on a nearly empty train I watched the sun rise over the mountains for the first time in 2006 on a glorious Japanese morning. What a way to start the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment