Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Transylvania (beyond the forest)...



I spent a few days in Budapest before beginning my journey into Romania. Western Romania (Transylvania) used to be part of the Hungarian empire
so as such there are frequent connections from the Hungarian capital.

The trip was idyllic: Miles and miles of green fertile fields and gently sloping hills covered in forests. After crossing the border the houses became more and more run down. The train goes very slowly and everything is leisurely. I noticed that once in Romania each station has the Romanian and European flag outside and the station attendants dress in very formal uniform (much like a police or army costume). They stand to attention as each train goes by. It’s a wonderful sight. As we stopped in one station four dark haired, brown skinned women in mismatched clothes were sitting on the bench chewing smoked sausage. I assumed they were gypsies. They are a sizeable minority here and are generally distrusted by many others in the country.

After what had been a beautifully bright day I nearly laughed out loud as we travelled further from the Hungarian border. I looked into the distance at a wall of black clouds. The sky was split between bright blue and grey and black. In the distance of course was Transylvania. Was I in fact caught up in some B grade horror movie? What next would I be the only guest in some run down mansion in the guise of a hotel? My hosts dressed immaculately in evening attire, charming but rather pale, laughing a little too hard?
We shall see, but I have certainly never seen a sky like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment